June 16, 2009

Gen Moeen retires

General Moeen U Ahmed is set to retire as the army chief as Lieutenant General Md Abdul Mubeen takes over as the army chief today. Moeen had his last day in office on Sunday, ending his job at the helm of the Armed Forces. He called on the president, Zillur Rahman, at Bangabhaban on Sunday. Moeen was widely criticised for his role in the declaration of the state of emergency on January 11, 2007 and his functioning during about two years’ rule of the military-controlled interim government. After meeting the president, Moeen told reporters, ‘Despite many limitations, I tried my best to serve the country. Now it is the people who will evaluate my work.’ Asked what he will do after his retirement, Moeen said, ‘I am just going into retirement… definitely I will do something in future… I will think about it later.’ Moeen had his service as the army chief extended by a year on April 6, 2008 with effect from June 15. Mubeen, also a former general officer commanding of the 24th Infantry Division in Chittagong, was made principal staff officer to the Armed Forces Division on June 4, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bangladesh Today